- 1 butternut squash (about 2 pounds) peeled, deseeded (is that even a word?) and chopped into chunks
- 6-10 zucchinis depending on the length and size (no dirty minds here!!)
- 2 teaspoons of garlic minced (I love Elephant garlic it has a sweeter milder flavor) but you can do regular garlic or pre~minced garlic if you would like.
- salt an pepper to taste
- fresh sage about the entire plastic container if it is the little one you buy in the herb section
- hazelnuts ~1/2 of a cup of hazelnuts toasted
- 2 cups of So Delicious Unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 Vidalia or any sweet onion sliced
- Sprinkle of fresh nutmeg or packaged is fine too
- Parmesan cheese to taste, I omit this when I am really a good girl and are Dairy Free
- Olive or coconut oil 1/4 of a cup
- Spiralizer~I purchased mine on Amazon.com
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Peel and chop squash and place on a foil lined baking sheet p, salt and pepper, fresh sage, nutmeg, onion and garlic and rub liberally with your choice of oil. Cover with foil and roast in the oven until squash chunks are easily piercable with the knife and have a little caramelization.
In the meantime boil a large pot of water on the stove and throw some salt in. Then get your Spiralizer an chop the ends off your zucchini, Stick the zucchini on your spiralizer and start making gorgeous thick ribbons of zucchini pasta. When the water comes to a boil throw your pasta in only for a quick bath and blanch your pasta. About 90 seconds. When pasta is done set aside on a tray to cool.
When the squash is caramelized let cool on the counter. When the squash is cool throw the entire baking sheet into a Vitamix or blender then add coconut milk,and a pinch more salt and pepper. Blend until it becomes a thick sauce.
In a pan on the stove toast hazelnuts over a medium heat making sure you do nut burn you nuts..hehehe…anyways…when the nuts are toasted set aside. After they cool chop up the nuts.
In a little oil on the stove top fry up a few sage leaves for garnish. Fried sage leaves are delicious and crunchy and add a little more life to this dish.
Plate the zucchini noodles then add the sauce on top then garnish with toasted Hazelnuts and Parmesan Cheese.
If you don’t put the cheese this meal is #Vegan #DairyFree #SoyFree and #GlutenFree
I love to make a mean marinara or a scampi as well and use these delicate noodles as my base instead of gluten free pasta or spaghetti squash because it is so low in carbs and kills that craving for past.
This will give you your pasta fix any day of the week.
I also like to make this scampi recipe with shrimp and calamari
This is something you can do ahead of time #mealprep
Shrimp and Squid Scampi
- 1 pound of shrimp cleaned,deveined and shelled
- 1 pound of calamari, I love the tentacles those are my fave but you need a mixture to make everyone happy
- 1/4 of a cup of Melt or Earth Balance non dairy butter~made with coconut oil
salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of EVOO extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion minced
- garlic minced I like a lot of Gahhhhlic….you have to go by what you like I use about 1/2 pf a cup chopped but that may be too overpowering for people
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/4 of a cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1/4 of a cup of freshly chopped parsley
- I do not use white wine in my dish but you can if you would like, if you do add about 1/2 of a cup.
(Just and FYI, you can really make this dish pop with any veggies of your liking, you can use frozen artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, olives, broccoli etc…)
Rinse squid and shrimp then cut squid into rings leaving tentacles whole and set aside.
In a large skillet heat EVOO and Melt or Earth Balance, whichever you choose and start to warm over medium to high heat, then add onions and garlic and let them sweat. Be careful not to burn them as burnt garlic will taste like doo doo and will ruin your entire dish.
Then add lemon, parsley, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Reserve a little parsley for garnish at the end. Then add shrimp. Cook shrimp for one minute then cook squid second. Cook shrimp about 2 minutes longer than squid. You will know when the shrimp is done because it will be firm and pink… squid is a tricky little bugger and you can over cook them and make them have the consistency of condoms in three seconds flat so watch them like a hawk.
Finish with lemon zest and parsley, then add to is to your zucchini noodles.